Sunday, June 12, 2011

My hard disk "died"

Still felt unlucky after the MEAT incident . . .

I took a day leave last Monday because I knew I could not drive back on the same night after the wedding dinner.

It would be tiring and dangerous.

When I woke up that day, I tried to switch on my laptop but it did not start.

I was getting an error message something like "PXE E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable - PXE M0F exiting Intel Boot Agent".

I tried to search for that and it related mostly to hard disk failure.

The computer could not find where to boot.

I went to Lowyat Acer Service Center at 4th Floor - "Highpoint" to check on this.

The technician told me that my warranty had expired last year but still he helped me to check.

He looked at the error message.

He took out my hard disk and put a new hard disk.

It was working.

He told me that my hard disk was "dead" and it was not moving.

I asked him whether I could perform data recovery for that as all my documents, photos and data are inside the hard disk.

He told me that I could try my luck at a shop near the lift.

I went there and asked the person at the counter but she told me that they could not perform data recovery if the hard disk was not moving anymore.

She said a hard disk is still recoverable if it could not be detected by BIOS but is still spinning.

I felt sad but luckily I did a backup last month after I bought a new 1 T external hard disk.

Yet, I still lost some data from early last month until 6th June :s

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Blog Promotion - Blog and Blog resource Directory